An overwhelming need:
- Benton Harbor is home to some of the largest percentages of child poverty in Michigan.
- Berrien County consistently ranks among the worst counties in Michigan for teenaged pregnancies.
- Between 2005 and 2010, Berrien County averaged 25 suicides per year.
- Violence and suicide are the 2nd and 3rd causes of death for the youth of Berrien County.
- 16.5% of people living in Benton Harbor will be the victim of a serious crime.
The performing arts offers a positive alternative:
- Increased ability to express anger appropriately and to cooperate with others.
- Increased ability to finish tasks they start.
- A decrease in delinquent behavior.
- An increase in self-esteem.